Brown butter soy sauce popcorn is quick and easy to make and has a rich umami flavor. It’s so addicting you won’t be able to stop eating it! It has a nutty buttery flavor with a light saltiness from the soy sauce. And there are only 3 ingredients!
When you buy through the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
- Popcorn: You can use air-popped, unflavored microwave popcorn, or stovetop popcorn (see here for how to make perfect stovetop popcorn).
- Butter: Use unsalted butter here. The soy sauce adds plenty of saltiness and any more salt would be too much.
- Soy Sauce: I used low-sodium soy sauce, but you can use tamari to make it gluten-free or regular soy sauce (but be careful because it may taste really salty).
MAKE THE POPCORN
Step 1: Make 10 cups of popcorn. I prefer stovetop popcorn (see my recipe for perfect stovetop popcorn here), but you can use air-popped or unseasoned microwave popcorn. Use 1/3 cup popcorn kernels to make 10 cups of popcorn.
Step 2: Make sure to remove all un-popped kernels.
Step 3: Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
BROWN THE BUTTER
Step 4: Slice the butter into Tbsp-sized pieces so it melts quickly and evenly.
Step 5: Add the butter to a light-colored pan and melt it over medium heat. Stir the butter to keep it moving around the pan.
Step 6: As the butter melts it will start to foam and the milk solids will fall to the bottom of the pan. These are what toast and brown, giving brown butter that nutty flavor and brown color.
Step 7: Keep stirring. In about 5-10 minutes the butter will turn a golden brown and start to smell nutty and buttery. Watch carefully! The butter can burn very quickly once it browns.
MAKE BROWN BUTTER SOY SAUCE POPCORN
Step 8: Add soy sauce to browned butter and stir to combine.
Step 9: Remove the browned butter and soy sauce mixture from the heat and drizzle it over popcorn.
Step 10: Stir together to evenly coat the popcorn with the butter soy mixture. Enjoy!
How Long Does Brown Butter Soy Sauce Popcorn Last?
Brown butter soy sauce popcorn tastes so good that you’ll probably eat it all in one sitting! It also will get soggy if it’s not eaten soon after making because of the melted butter. I would suggest making just enough to eat in one sitting.
How to Store Brown Butter Soy Sauce Popcorn
Brown butter soy sauce popcorn is best when eaten in one sitting. If you do plan on storing some, store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review below! And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest!
Brown Butter Soy Sauce Popcorn
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Make 10 cups of popcorn. Make sure to remove all un-popped kernels.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
- Slice the butter into Tbsp-sized pieces and add to a light-colored pan. Melt over medium heat. Stir frequently to keep butter moving around the pan.
- Continue stirring. In about 5-10 minutes the butter will turn a golden brown and start to smell nutty and buttery. Watch carefully! The butter can burn very quickly once it browns.
- Add soy sauce to brown butter and stir to combine.
- Remove brown butter and soy sauce mixture from heat and drizzle over popcorn.
- Stir together to evenly coat popcorn with butter soy mixture.