This heart-shaped marshmallow popcorn cake is a quick, easy, no-bake dessert. Perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, an anniversary, or any other time you want to show someone you care.
When you buy through the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How to Make a Popcorn Marshmallow Cake
- Marshmallows: I like to use mini jet-puffed marshmallows. Make sure they’re fresh and not stale, so they’ll melt into a soft and gooey texture.
- Popcorn: You can use air-popped, unflavored microwave popcorn, or stovetop popcorn (see here for how to make perfect stovetop popcorn).
- Butter: Unsalted is my favorite kind of butter and that’s all I have in my house, so that’s what I use. If you’re using salted butter, omit the salt from this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: This takes the flavor up a notch.
- Salt: Salt, in small amounts, enhances the taste and flavor of sweetness.
HEART-SHAPED CAKE PAN
PREPARE THE POPCORN
Step 1: Make 10 cups of popcorn.
I like to make stovetop popcorn (see my recipe for perfect stovetop popcorn here), but you can use air-popped or unseasoned microwave popcorn. Use 1/3 cup popcorn kernels to make 10 cups of popcorn.
Make sure to remove all un-popped kernels. Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Spray cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
MAKE THE MARSHMALLOW MIXTURE
Step 3: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
Step 4: Add marshmallows and stir.
Stir mixture until the marshmallows are about 75% melted. The residual heat will continue to melt the marshmallows.
Step 5: Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
(See my recipe for popcorn marshmallow treats here for more detailed instructions and tips)
Step 6: Slowly pour about a third of the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and gently fold into the popcorn.
Continue adding marshmallow mixture a little at a time and folding it into popcorn. Completely cover the popcorn with the marshmallow mixture.
ADDING THE VALENTINE'S DAY MIX-INS
Step 7: Add the mix-ins.
Once the popcorn is covered in marshmallow mixture, it’s time to add the mix-ins. The marshmallow mixture should still be warm and sticky so the candy and sprinkles will stick to it.
MAKING THE HEART-SHAPED CAKE
Step 8: Pour popcorn marshmallow mixture into prepared cake pan.
I find it’s easier to use your hands to do this rather than using a spatula. Make sure to oil your hands so the mixture doesn’t stick to them. It’s very sticky!
Lightly press mixture into an even layer in the cake pan. Don’t press too hard otherwise your popcorn cake may come out hard and dense.
Step 9: Remove popcorn marshmallow cake from pan and place on serving dish.
What Other Mix-Ins or Decorations Can I Use?
- Seasonal m&m’s
- Different colored marshmallows
- Drizzle melted white chocolate over the top of the cake
- Decorate with buttercream frosting
The possibilities are endless!
What Kind of Popcorn Should I Use?
I make my popcorn on the stove. Nothing beats the flavor of stovetop popcorn. You can find all the tips and tricks you need to make the perfect stovetop popcorn here. You can also use air-popped or unflavored microwave popcorn.
How Long Will the Popcorn Marshmallow Cake Last?
Marshmallow popcorn doesn’t generally last very long in my house! This popcorn tastes best right after it’s made, but it’ll last about 3 days if stored in an airtight container (see here for storage tips and how to keep popcorn fresh). The popcorn does get a bit chewier over time as the popcorn absorbs some of the moisture from the marshmallows, but it still tastes good!
OTHER POPCORN RECIPES
- 10 cups popcorn
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Valentine's Day sprinkle mix
- Confetti heart sprinkles
- Pop 10 cups of popcorn and remove any unpopped kernels. Set aside.
- Spray heart-shaped cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Once butter has melted, add in marshmallows. Stir mixture until marshmallows are just about melted, remove from heat and add in vanilla and salt.
- Slowly pour about a third of the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and gently fold into the popcorn. Continue adding marshmallow mixture a little at a time and folding it into popcorn. Completely cover the popcorn with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add in some of the sprinkles or other mix-ins into popcorn marshmallow mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Spray spatula with cooking spray, or oil your hands. Pour mixture into prepared cake pan. Using the spatula or your hands, gently press the mixture into an even layer in the cake pan.
- Remove popcorn marshmallow cake from pan and put on plate.
- Add more sprinkles to the top of the cake.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this recipe, put a Pin in it!