This St. Patrick’s Day marshmallow popcorn treat with Bailey’s is an ooey, gooey, boozy indulgence that’s sure to bring out your inner leprechaun. Serve them at your St. Patrick’s Day party, enjoy them with a Guinness (or two), or pack them up and bring them with you to a St. Patrick’s Day parade!
- Popcorn: You can use air-popped, unflavored microwave popcorn, or stovetop popcorn (see here for how to make perfect stovetop popcorn).
- Marshmallows: I like to use mini jet-puffed marshmallows. Make sure they’re fresh and not stale, so they’ll melt into a soft and gooey texture.
- Butter: Unsalted is my favorite kind of butter and that’s all I have in my house, so that’s what I use. If you’re using salted butter, omit the salt from this recipe.
- Bailey’s Irish Cream: An alcoholic drink flavored with cream, cocoa and Irish whiskey.
- Salt: Salt, in small amounts, enhances the taste and flavor of sweetness.
- Add-ins – I used St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles, confetti, marshmallows.
Bailey’s Irish Cream gives this St. Patrick’s Day dessert an extra kick to it. It’s a quick and easy treat to make at home. You can add in whatever goodies you have on hand and get as creative as you want to.
PREPARE THE POPCORN
Step 1: Make 10 cups of popcorn. I like to make stovetop popcorn (see my recipe for perfect stovetop popcorn here), but you can use air-popped or unseasoned microwave popcorn. Use 1/3 cup popcorn kernels to make 10 cups of popcorn.
Step 2: Make sure to remove all un-popped kernels.
Step 3: Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
Step 4: Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat.
MAKE THE MARSHMALLOW MIXTURE
Step 5: In a medium saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp butter over medium-low heat.
Step 6: Add in 5 cups of marshmallows and 1/3 cup of Bailey’s.
Step 7: Stir mixture until the marshmallows are about 75% melted. The residual heat will continue to melt the marshmallows.
Step 8: Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat and stir in the salt.
(See my recipe for popcorn marshmallow treats here for more detailed instructions and tips)
Step 9: Slowly pour about a third of the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and gently fold into the popcorn.
Step 10: Continue adding marshmallow mixture a little at a time and folding it into popcorn. Completely cover the popcorn with the marshmallow mixture.
Step 11: Pour popcorn onto prepared baking sheet.
Step 12: Use spatula to spread popcorn evenly on baking sheet. Press gently so you don’t smash the popcorn.
DECORATING THE TREATS
Step 13: Now for the fun part! Time to mix the add-ins into the marshmallow popcorn. While the popcorn is still a bit warm (if it’s too cool the sprinkles won’t stick to it), sprinkle the candy onto the popcorn.
Step 14: Let the St. Patrick’s Day popcorn cool. Pull apart and enjoy!
What Other Mix-Ins or Decorations Can I Use?
- St. Patrick’s Day m&m’s
- Different colored marshmallows
- Drizzle on melted green chocolate
- Drizzle on white or green candy melts
- Lucky Charms cereal
- Food coloring to make green popcorn
The possibilities are endless!
How Long Will the St. Patrick’s Day Popcorn Marshmallow with Bailey’s Last?
How Do I Store Bailey’s Marshmallow Popcorn to Keep it Fresh?
The best way to store these St. Patrick’s Day popcorn snacks is in an airtight container. If you still have any left after about 2-3 days, wrap them up in plastic wrap, put them in a freezer safe container, and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- 10 cups popcorn
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8oz (5 cups) mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- St. Patrick's Day sprinkles
- Prepare popcorn, put in bowl and set aside (see my recipe for the perfect stovetop popcorn here).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Once butter has melted, add in marshmallows and Bailey's Irish Cream. Stir mixture until marshmallows are just about melted. Remove from heat and add in salt.
- Slowly pour about a third of the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and gently fold into the popcorn. Continue adding marshmallow mixture a little at a time and folding it into popcorn. Completely cover the popcorn with the marshmallow mixture.
- Spray spatula with cooking spray. Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet. Using the spatula, gently press the mixture into an even layer in the baking sheet.
- While the mixture is still warm, sprinkle the candy onto the popcorn.
- Allow St. Patrick's Day popcorn to cool completely.
- Break apart into pieces and enjoy!
Note on Texture: The Bailey's adds extra liquid into the marshmallow mixture, which results in the popcorn being a bit more gooey than regular marshmallow popcorn. I like the texture and the Bailey's flavor is very pronounced, making it extra yummy! If you like a drier popcorn, try adding in less Bailey's (try 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup) or add in more popcorn (try 12 cups).
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this recipe, put a Pin in it!